Sunday, December 18, 2011

This Holiday Season, Think Outside the Big Box

Here's a post that I wrote for American Public Media's Marketplace on shopping local, with an intro by Marketplace's economics editor Chris Farrell:

It matters where we spend our money. For instance, I like supporting local entrepreneurs whenever possible -- especially small business owners active in the community. Engaged entrepreneurs can make a big difference to the health of a neighborhood.
I learned a lot about the benefits of local from reading Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit From It by Amy Cortese.  "Just as 'locavaores' eat mostly foods that have been raised or grown in a radius of 100 miles or so, some people are investing the same way," she writes. "I call them locavestors." 
As we head into the last weekend for holiday shopping, I thought I'd ask Amy for insight about buying local. 
Read the full post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment